Monday, March 22, 2010

It is Our Work, Not God's

"It is critically important that we grasp this truth. Much religious work is being done these days that is not owned by our Lord and will not be accepted or rewarded in that great day. Superior human gifts are being mistaken for the gifts of the Holy Spirit, and neither they who exercise these gifts nor the Christian public before whom they are exercised are aware of the deception. Never has there been more activity in religious circles and, I confidently believe, never has there been so little of God and so much of the flesh. Such work is a snare because it keeps us busy and at the same time prevents us from discovering that it is our work and not God's."

AW Tozer

1 comment:

Karen Isbell said...

Rebekah,
I love that quote by Tozer, one of my favorite books that I read at least once of year. Another quote that I love along the same lines is "How much Christian work there is today which has never been disciplined, but has simply sprung into being by impulse! In our Lord's life every project was disciplined to the will of His Father. This is a day when practical work is overemphasized and the saints who are bringing every project into captivity are criticized and told that are not in earnest for God or for souls. True earnestness is found in obeying God, not in the inclination to serve Him that is born of undisciplined human nature" Oswald Chambers.

I agree with you and Tozer's and Chamber's words remind me of this when I try to measure myself against those who are "doing" more for the Kingdom.

Thanks for sharing your heart!k